Sean Cook, President of Cook Engineering, is my guest on today’s show.
Cook Engineering is a general engineering company based in Rancho Cordova, California. Sean and his wife Shellie started the business in 2003. They’ve grown the business to $30m in revenue by taking care of their customers, and providing their employees with a supportive environment.
Our interview focuses on how Sean has leveraged the success of his company into having an impact not only on his local community, but on a broader level, by providing construction services to a village in Uganda.
- Sean’s encounter with a black mamba
- Cook Engineering’s decision to sponsor a village in Uganda
- How Sean built his business so that he and his top superintendent could to travel to Uganda
- The importance of living by consistent values
- How focusing on customer service has set Cook apart from other construction companies
- How to manage the introduction of new technology into the business
- Overcoming silos between the field and the office
- The importance of quality communication
- Creating a family atmosphere at Cook Engineering
- How to identify and participate in charitable activities
- The importance of consistency
- The power of answering the phone when someone calls
Sean is clear on how he needs to lead his company, and this has enabled him to have a positive impact beyond his business. If you’d like to improve your leadership, here’s something that may help:
FREE Downloadable Resource: Construction Leaders Dashboard
The Construction Leaders Dashboard is one of the simplest and yet most powerful tools for leaders in construction companies of all sizes that can be used to clarify what you need to focus on in order to be a highly successful leader. It includes: Vision, Mission, Values, Edge, Initiatives, Metrics, Key Relationships, and Development Opportunities.