In today’s episode, I am joined by Dave Kievet, the president and COO of The Boldt Company. He has been in the industry for more than thirty years. He and I discuss why being too tactical in business is not advisable, how relationships affect your construction company, and how your professional and personal life interact.
This episode will be very insightful for many leaders at all stages of their careers. So, tune in now and learn important notes to hone your leadership skills.
What’s Discussed in This Episode:
2:21 Dave’s definition of leadership
5:04 Defining quality time
7:44 Lack of leadership in the construction industry linked to being too tactical
8:52 Shifting from being too tactical to being more strategic
12:20 Practice of self-reflection
14:18 How to spend more time with your feet up on the desk
15:52 Insights to effective delegation of responsibilities or tasks
18:12 Advice to leaders about role delegation and responsibilities
21:59 Learnings from the new generation of leaders
25:04 How to deal with different generations in the business
26:08 Dealing with challenges with your own motivations
28:26 Detecting red flags of burn out in leaders
31:50 Dave’s personal experience and professional notes
35:26 Dave’s book recommendations
36:32 Dave’s restaurant recommendation
About the Guest:
Dave Kievet is the president and chief operating officer of The Boldt Company, one of the leading construction firms in the country. He has over thrity years of experience in the field not only as an engineer but also as a leader. He specializes in business development and lean construction. As of now, he supervises all operating groups throughout the country.
- Dave Kievet Website (https://www.theboldtcompany.com/)
- Dave’s restaurant recommendation: Silver Coach Restaurant (https://www.silvercoachrestaurant.net/)
Books mentioned in this episode:
- Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill (https://www.amazon.com/Think-Grow-Rich-Publication-Foundation-ebook/dp/B07P896HSJ/)
- Everybody Matters: The Extraordinary Power of Caring for Your People Like Family by Bob Chapman and Raj Sisodia (https://www.amazon.com/Everybody-Matters-Extraordinary-Caring-People/dp/1591847796)
- The Ideal Team Player: How to Recognize and Cultivate The Three Essential Virtues by Patrick M. Lencioni (https://www.amazon.com/Ideal-Team-Player-Recognize-Cultivate/dp/1119209595)
Connect with me on LinkedIn. For more podcast episodes, you may also visit my website. Tune in and subscribe to the Construction Genius: A Leadership Master-Class Podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and Stitcher.
Thank you for tuning in!