In the 1960s, President Kennedy set the goal of sending a manned flight to the moon. To achieve that goal, three programs were put in place — the Mercury Program, the Gemini Program, and the Apollo Program. Three programs which can be perfectly used for analogies with regards to growing businesses including construction companies.
Today, we have Doug Howard — Director of Consulting at Remodelers Advantage explain to us how we can relate these three programs to our businesses and use them to our advantage.
Other important highlights we include in our discussion are:
• Using your most valuable asset — time — effectively,
• Moving from working in your business to working ON your business,
• Achieving your goals by using your resources efficiently, and many more.
So go ahead and press that play button ‘cause we’ve got a lot of valuable lessons to give away in today’s episode!
• 0:00 Introduction
• 3:21 Top 3 issues that limit a business’ growth
• 4:03 The struggle between working ON the business vs IN the business
• 7:05 Developing middle level management with organizational charts
• 10:22 Two issues that need to be addressed in a growing business
• 11:51 The problem with micromanaging
• 14:34 What does it mean to set a budget for mistakes?
• 15:57 Moving from a mindset of being in control to allowing the staff to interact with customers
• 18:31 First steps to take in managing time effectively
• 19:08 The Moon Shot Analogy (Mercury Program, Apollo Program, Gemini Program)
• 22:25 Playing the dynamics between a Gemini Program phase and the business owner not wanting to do something that needs to get done
• 23:54 How much time should a senior leader be spending working on the business?
• 24:52 Tried to manage your time effectively but failed? Here’s how to reset and try again
• 26:23 It’s all about Accountability
• 29:51 4 action items you need to have to start working ON the business
About the Guest:
Doug Howard is Director of Consulting at Remodelers Advantage. He is an experienced Leader, entrepreneur and business consultant with over 25 years of success in leading organizations, starting new companies and assisting client businesses as they start-up, grow or transition. Throughout his career, Doug has served in leadership in for-profit, nonprofit and government organizations. He is a graduate of the Wharton School of Business. Doug joined Remodelers Advantage as Director of Consulting Services in 2017 and he now specializes in helping remodeling company owners develop strategic plans, streamline processes, improve profitability, and navigate growth.
• Doug Howard’s Email: [email protected]
• Doug Howard’s Website: www.15minuteswithdoug.com
• Remodelers Advantage Website: https://remodelersadvantage.com/
• Remodelers Advantage LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/remodelers-advantage-inc-
• Remodelers Advantage Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Remodelers.Advantage
Do Your Project Executives Need to Become Better Leaders?
• Book a 10-minute call with Eric Anderton to see if/how he can help (https://10minutes.youcanbook.me/)
Connect with me on LinkedIn. For more podcast episodes, you may also visit my website. Tune in and subscribe to the Construction Genius: A Leadership Master-Class Podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and Stitcher.
Thank you for tuning in!